Photograph of the Broadway, Winchester including St John's South
Taken about 1870
In the Broadway at the eastern end of the High Street is St John's Hospital, a charitable foundation whose origins may be traced back to Anglo-Saxon times. In the early nineteenth century its accommodation for the needy to the north of the High Street was considered insufficient. St John's South, with its crenellated stone gatehouse and mullioned windows, provided additional almshouses to the south of the High Street axis and was built in the 1830s. The architect was William Garbett, who was also permanent architect to the Cathedral, although on his death in 1834 completion of the work was overseen by his draughtsman, O B Carter.
A group of children stand in the road, adding interest to the scene.
The photograph was taken by Winchester photographer William Savage (1817-87) and is found in an album entitled 'Hampshire Views of Churches, Country Houses and Public Buildings'.
Object number: WINCM:PWCM 4416